Friday, 15 December 2017
ALL INDIA ASSOCIATION OF CENTRAL EXCISE
Ref. No. 173/AIB/A/17 Dt. 15.12.17
Sh. Pranab Kumar Das,
Special Secretary & Member, CBEC,
North Block, New Delhi.
Sub: Reorganisation of Customs formations.
Kindly refer to the Ref. No. 149/AIB/A/17 Dt. 09.11.17 of the Association alongwith your letter D. O. F. No. 450/17/2017-Cus-IV Dt. 07.11.17.
2. With due regards, it is to submit again that the views of the Association may also kindly be taken for due consideration before arriving at final decision on the issue. The only way regarding this seems to form independent Customs Commissionrates/formations/divisions/houses manned by Central Excise personnel to reassign Customs functions to them falling under the erstwhile Central Excise/CGST jurisdictional area.
3. The best way, however, seems to unify the Central Excise/CGST and Customs grades at group ‘B’ and ‘C’ levels like already existing in Group ‘A’. The Association has already given its submissions on the issue of unification on various occasions. The Hon’ble CAT of Delhi has also directed the CBEC to reframe the RRs to grant parity in promotions to Central Excise executive officers with Customs counterparts under order in OA No. 2323/2012.
4. The Association has some apprehensions with respect to the said reorganization like below:
i) Whether all the Customs functions hitherto dealt by the Central Excise/Central Tax personnel would be dealt by the Customs personnel?
ii) Whether the posts from Customs would be diverted to GST and vice versa?
iii) Whether the functions being performed by Central Excise/Central Tax personnel in SEZ, minor ports etc. would be handled by Customs personnel?
iv) What is the actual proposal of Board for reorganization of Customs formations?
v) Whether the sanctioned strength of Customs Preventive formations would be treated as sanctioned strength of formations under Central Excise/Central Tax or sanctioned strength of formations under Customs?
vi) Whether the Central Excise/Central Tax personnel working in the erstwhile Customs formations would be treated as officers on deputation posts or regular posts of Central Excise/Central Tax?
vii) Whether deputations to SEZs or other Customs functions like airports will be restricted to only Customs personnel or extended to Central Tax personnel?
viii) Whether there would be any reduction or increase in strength?
ix) Whether the promotional chances of Inspector to the Superintendents and further would be affected?
x) Whether the Board is also being bifurcated as Central Tax and Customs?
xi) Whether present Customs Preventive formations would be merged with the Custom Houses being manned by Customs personnel?
xii) Whether there would be any role at all for Central Tax personnel in Customs functions in future?
4. In view of the above and also the verdict Dt. 07.12.17 given by the Madras Bench of Hon’ble CAT in MA/310/00906/2017 and OA/310/01895 directing to take into consideration the points submitted by the staffside, it is requested to finalise the issue by giving the due consideration to the submissions made by the Association.
Copy with the request for necessary action to:
(1) The Member (GST), CBEC, North Block, New Delhi.
(2) The Member (Admn.), CBEC, North Block, New Delhi.
(3) The Chairperson, CBEC, North Block, New Delhi.
(4) The Finance/Revenue Secretary, North Block, New Delhi.